Monday, October 7, 2013

Pika Surprise





At the end of the summer, I went in search of American Pika, in hopes of finding them actively gathering greenery for their hay piles.

As luck would have it, I was fighting a cold and the high elevation on the day I had to look for them. My fatigue led me to take many breaks on flat rocks in the talus slope. During one break, a curious Pika surprised me by popping out of the rocks right near where I was sitting. I did not want to move and scare off the pika, which led to some awkward angles and camera holds. But I did manage a few fun shots of this cute pika.








2 comments:

  1. That's excellent that it came out right near you. It's so hit-or-miss when I try to find them, and so sad when they come out only to flee as soon as you move. I have yet to see one (much less photograph it) when it's got a mouth full of grass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John. I have been lucky enough to get a few shots with grass and other items in a pika mouth. But these little guys are quick.

      Delete